Substitute Job Openings - Job ID#230585
Substitute teaching can be a rewarding job, and often assists aspiring teachers in gaining the experience needed to lead their own classroom. It also provides a flexible job schedule where you determine the days you will work. When the regular teacher is absent, substitute teachers play a significant role in maintaining a stable classroom. It is critical that students have effective teachers every day, and that no instructional time is wasted.
PreK Substitutes Needed
The VPK Substitute Pool is a unique subset of the School District Substitute Pool. Professional Development may be included for these positions. Please visit the PreK Substitute page for more information.
- At least 18 years of age
- A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Completion of the SubSkills Training (exemptions* apply)
- Completion of hiring process and hiring documents
- You have been an SDPBC substitute teacher, or
- You held a valid substitute certificate from another county, or
- You have been a student teacher (or are entering your student teaching), or
- You have been an active, certified classroom teacher, or
- You retired from a K-12 classroom teaching position.
Application and Document Submission
Candidates interested in becoming a Substitute Teacher should gather all requested documents, prior to submitting the online application. All Hiring Requirements MUST be completed and submitted within 30 days. Applications will be withdrawn after 30 days if all Hiring Requirements are not complete. If your application is withdrawn, a new application must be submitted.
Gather your high school diploma or request your official college transcript reflecting your highest level of education. A high school transcript may be submitted in place of the high school diploma. Official transcripts from your college/university may be sent electronically to email@example.com or you may upload them to your applicant profile (instructions below).
Note: Candidates who provide educational credentials reflecting high school or less than 30 college semester hours will be limited to working in the elementary setting ONLY and may not work in middle or high schools.
Obtain a Substitute certificate by completing the SubSkills Training* (see above)
Step 3If you have not been employed within the past five (5) years, you may submit a personal/professional reference on . (No Relatives) If you are self-employed, complete the and have a customer, vendor, or supplier to complete . Student Teachers may submit one reference from the principal/assistant principal of the school, the cooperating teacher, or from the college supervisor, on the .
Obtain an employment reference from the supervisor of your current or most recent employer within the past five (5) years on the .
Step 4Please click on one of the links below to watch a short video demonstration on how to upload documents. or
After you have completed all of the above steps, complete the online application and upload the documents to your applicant profile.
Go to the Applying for Jobs page, then
• Log into your career home page with the username and password in which you used to apply to this position.
• Check the page, it must have your Name and the Applicant ID that is listed on this document.
• Click the "My Job Applications" link to upload your *documents.
• Click the + on "My Cover Letters and Attachments."
• Select your Attachment Type.
• Enter a description of the document in the document title field.
• Click "Continue" and select your document from "Choose from My Device."
• Upload your required document.
• Click "Done" and "Save."
• Repeat these steps for all required documents.
*The School District of Palm Beach County reserves the right to inspect original and official documents upon request. Failure to provide original and/or official documents when requested, may adversely affect employment eligibility.Upon receipt of all documentation, a Human Resource representative will review your application and determine your eligibility for employment. If you are selected to move forward in the hiring process, you will be provided with information for Employee Orientation, Fingerprinting, and Drug Testing.
Substitute Pay Rates
- Retired* Teachers (from any State) - $17.41 per hour
- BA/BS Degree or Higher - $16.89 per hour
- AA/AS Degree or 60+ Semester Hours - $15.61 per hour
- 30-59 Semester Hours - $15.30 per hour
- 1-29 Semester Hours - $15.15 per hour
- High School diploma or equivalent - $15.00 per hour
- Priority Support Schools - additional $3.00 per hour